Tuesday, October 31, 2006

GOOD BYE TOMATOES



On Saturday, I pulled up most of my tomato plants for the season, leaving only the orange cherries that are still producing. One of my personal tomato goals is to be able to pluck a ripe one from my garden for the Thanksgiving Day salad. It's such an annual rite of passage for me to pull up the drooping, brown, dusty plants and heap them into the green-lidded compost bin. This season was probably my best tomato year since I moved into this house. All 7 of my plants, many of them fragile heirlooms, produced lots of gorgeous fruit. Statice, Black Krim, Early Girl, Purple Cherokee, Sungold cherries. So many that I had to oven dry tomatoes at the height of the harvest.
Now I have chard growing and will plant some onion, garlic, maybe shallot soon. I love looking at them in the winter and to smell their powerful scent with the first hints of spring.

No comments: