Tuesday, October 31, 2006

IN THE OCEAN


It's been awhile since I've been in the ocean and I always forget what a miracle it is out there, a whole different world just a few feet from the cliff. Yesterday, there weren't any waves, so Gwen and I just paddled out on our boards. Lots of kelp off the Indicator, a light but steady wind, lots of sun. About half way to the wharf, a sea lion surfaced on one side of Gwen and really checked her out, dove and resurfaced on the other side. It was amazing and unnerving at the same time. Just a few more feet away, a pod of dolphins. We sat and watched their frolicking. Made me think about sharks, which usually isn't something I think much about. I'll try to keep sharky thoughts out of my mind. There's enough to worry about out there -- waves, testosterone-laced surfers, etc.
Out of the water, I told Gwen about my shark thoughts and how my mind created a whole scenario-- what I would do if the shark attacked me, if it went after her. Amazingly, she also had shark fears that she decided not to talk about (she is typically fearless in the water). She imagined the shark ripping off her arm, and how embarrassed she'd be because she's not even a great surfer like Bethany Hamilton, the young surfer who lost an arm three years ago today (Oct. 31.) Creepy.

No comments: