Tuesday, October 31, 2006

SHORTBUS

Last night, a friend and I decided to go to a movie. We didn't have anything in mind and neither of us had read any recent reviews, so we met at the Nick and took a chance on Short Bus. The people in line behind us said they heard good things about it. It was directed by John Cameron Mitchell, who directed Hedwig and the Ugly Inch, a really wonderful movie. The movie opened with a scene of a naked guy twisting into yoga positions, followed by a couple having sex in lots of positions and places.
The movie could have easily been a disaster, but it was truly terrific -- warm, frequently hilariously, genuinely touching. I really loved my friend's description: It was like Cheers at a group sex club. The opening and closing of the movie -- a digital aerial view of New York/Brooklyn -- made great use of technology, and I'm not easily impressed by digital images. I frequenly find them to be a substitute for plot and character development. The movie was a love poem to New York and made me miss the East. Plus, great music by Yo La Tengo.

No comments: