Saturday, January 27, 2007

Lunafest

I just got in from attending Lunafest, a festival at the Rio Theater billed as films for, by and about woman with proceeds to women's center, women's cancer organization, etc. More like Depression Fest with films about a woman leaving her abusive husband, a Chinese woman poisoning her baby because the newborn was yet another girl, a woman with breast cancer who gets a mastectomy while her baby is still nursing and the baby screams her head off and ... ugh. I'm ready to get into bed and start eating a lot of rich, gooey comfort food.



There were a few lighter moments, including a short by Shaz Bennett who is an LA performance artist. By lighter, I mean the film brings together her cat, gerbils, sugar cookies and Bacon Bits and made me laugh even though it's basically about the death of her mother. If you need someone to share a deathbed vigil, Shaz might be a good choice.
I found the short film, Top of the Circle, here : http://medialab.ifc.com/film_detail.jsp?film_id=451


Okay, off to bed with me.

1 comment:

Nancy Redwine said...

yeah. They should call it the "Ugh Fest" They should pass buckets of candy.