Wednesday, January 17, 2007

What's Art Reading?



When I was a young-ish reporter writing a profile of someone, famous or not-so-famous, I frequently checked out the subject's bookshelf to get a quick "read" of them. Kind of cheesy, I know, but I figured it would tell me something if they had the complete works of Tolstoy rather than the Complete Set of Reader's Digest. Since those days, I've concluded that "you are more than what you read," just as I look back with a bit of embarrassment how my teenage self harshly judged others on whether they preferred the Beatles or the Rolling Stones.




Still, I find myself fascinated by what people are reading. Obviously, so do others, hence the list of "Books I'm Reading" on so many websites and blogs. Perhaps, you've been wondering what Art Garfunkel has been reading lately. I know I have. Turns out that Art is a passionate reader who's kept a list since 1968. His favorites? Plenty of Tolstoy and others, from the Tao Te Ching to Stephen King. http://www.artgarfunkel.com/library.html It's an intimidating list that makes me wonder just how many of these hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of books Art can actually remember.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Art Garfunkel is a graduate student--who knew?

Nancy Redwine said...

I know this is just not right and I should be screened out of this blog by whoever screens, but I think Art Garfunkel lied. I don't think he read all those books. Where's the trash? No serious reader doesn't have some trash on their book list. I just don't buy it, Art.
And if it's true, it confirms my pre-existing prejudice. I always liked Paul better. I bet he reads trash.